S-38.2188 Communication Networks
Period III; 2006
- Results of the exam
- 23.3.2006: FINAL RESULTS for project work are now aivailable in the exercise page
- 23.3.2006: Project work results are valid until the course starts again in 2007.
The objective of the course is to
ensure that students have a good basic knowledge of computer networks,
specifically IP networks. Additionally, students will learn how to
simulate simple networks using the ns2 simulator tool.
Lectures held mondays 12-14 and thursdays 12-14 in S4
||Link layer review and LAN technologies
||Routing in the internet
||IPv6 and Multicast
||slides5 ||Jörg Ott
||Quality of Service (QoS) in the internet
||Transport layer in internet
||TCP congestion control
||Name service (DNS), network management
|| slides9 slides10 ||Jouni Karvo
|| slides11 ||Jouni Karvo
|| slides12 ||Jouni Karvo
|| slides13 ||Jouni Karvo
Passing the course
For successfully passing the course you need to
- successfully pass the excercises, and
- pass the exam.
See the exercise page for more information about the project work.
Prerequisites and correspondence
The course prerequisite is one of the following courses
The course corresponds to the courses T-110.350 Computer Networks or
T-110.4100 Computer Networks. Please take only one of these.
- The course book
James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross: Computer
networking - A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet, 3rd ed., Addison
The previous course book (Peterson & Davie: Computer Networks - A Systems
Approach, 2nd or 3rd edition) can also be used, but it is not recommended.
- Other material
- Lecture slides are delivered as a compendium via Edita and are also available electronically in the web page
NOTE! Printing the material on the university's printers is strictly forbidden!
- Dr Jouni Karvo,
- Prof. Jörg Ott, lecturing
- M.Sc. Ilmari Juva, M.Sc. Henri Koskinen, excercises